Monday, June 18, 2007

ALC Recap- Day Six: Lompoc to Ventura

Day Six not always the easiest route, it's long but what's nice is that the scenery is beautiful.
Michael along the coast...

What's also nice is that Paradise Pit is just past downtown Santa Barbara and every year the ice cream just gets yummier!

I rode most of the day with myself. I don't say "by myself" because on this ride you really are never "by yourself". I took my time getting to lunch- talking with a few newbies and drinking a diet coke with lunch. (this is a luxury, you know.... I got to the coke machine at the lunch stop before it all sold out!) My friend Edna was getting that gnarly "camp cough" so I encouraged her to sag to camp so that she'd be well enough to ride on Day 7. She took my advice.

After lunch I felt pretty good so I booked it through Santa Barbara to the Paradise Pit.

Ginger supervising the massage therapy..

I hung out there for close to an hour, helping to move the steadily lengthening line so that people split into 4 separate lines once they got to the ice cream table. After that I booked on over to RS4 where I ran into Daniel who was also having a "day to ride by yourself". It was a healthy day for both of us, and we were looking forward to checking out the Marriott in Ventura for the evening...

Daniel and I at Pit 4, Day 6

Day Six is also the evening of the annual Candelight Vigil. We stood in silence against a dark sky with our candles lit, remembering those we had lost to AIDS. Every year I think about my friends Chris and Dwight who died of AIDS in the early 90's. Every year I resolve to come back and ride until there is a cure.