Saturday, June 16, 2007

ALC Recap - Day Four: Evil Twins, that long assed downhill and cinnamon rolls in Pismo

Day Four is always my favorite day. Not only are those climbs my favorite because they are all pretty gradual, but at the top of those climbs is the halfway to L.A. point.

I rode to RS1 and ran into Lillian. Since people had been stopping her all week, mistaking her for me we decided we'd take a picture together to show you all that we look nothing alike!

see!? well, ok we do look like we could be related...

After RS1 I basically made my way up to the Halfway Point where our group of Kozy Korner (aka Krazy Korner) members decided we'd take a picture...

Hell there were so many of us you couldn't even see the "Half the Way to L.A." sign. Afterward we travelled down that looooong downhill which eventually put us on Hwy 1 on the way to Cayucos. Unfortunately that looooong downhill had a nice headwind on it, which meant paying more attention to the sway factor of my bike, and not getting as much speed on my downhill as I would have liked! Ah well, there's always next year.

I stopped briefly at RS2 to say hello to Ruben, then rode on into the town of Cayucos and ate my lunch there....yum, burger and fries!! Then on eventually through Pismo with a stop at the famous Cinnamon Roll place. Each year we stop here for cinnamon rolls and iced coffee- most importantly I stop there because right after is a gnarly climb on a two lane road on the way to Santa Maria. It's usually pretty windy through Guadalupe, our last rest stop before making a turn and getting an awesome tailwind into Santa Maria. And this year was no different.

My ride husband Michael and I stayed at the Holiday Inn, Santa Maria- which is walking distance from camp. It was nice to get all the dirt and grit out of my hair for awhile..ooh it was also nice to have a drink at the bar! :-)