Saturday, April 21, 2007

Headlands, Tiburon Fairfax and rain...

I love riding other people's rides, as just a rider.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the times I lead rides. It helps me to hone in on my leadership skills, teach others skills, and hopefully impart some much needed information to others in preparing them for the ride. But leading rides often times means I end up riding with the same folks- I generally don't lead the pack, but prefer to sweep and make sure others get in safely.

Today was a great day of riding. I had been invited by Dave T to do a 90 mile ride (the same ride Ben is doing tomorrow) out to Petaluma but didn't think that Daniel would have it in him to do 90 miles yet, and didn't want to push him to do it. (heck I didn't know if I had it in me!) So we decided instead to ride Kurt's CAT 2 ride out of SB, up Conzelman and back down, out to Tiburon and around Paradise Drive thru Corte Madera out to Fairfax- 54 miles.

Since Daniel lives at the base of Camino Alto in Corte Madera, I suggested he bring his house key with him, just in case we got rained out. Luckily we didn't have to use it.

We hooked up with Alkarim, Hector and Mike at the top of Conzelman and we all stuck together for the rest of the day. We stopped in at Shark's Deli and Daniel and I split a sandwich... I needed the protein. Then we headed out around Paradise and for some reason I was feeling a little sluggish. I think I waited too long to eat.

Once in Corte Madera, we stopped in at the Peets coffee on Tamalpais Blvd. It was on the route, and we could see riders going by so we had our coffee and scones/coffee cake quickly and were on our way. Wow I really needed the coffee and sugar, I felt so much better on the way to Fairfax. Of course it started to rain a bit as we rode into Fairfax. The guys grabbed a sandwich at Peri's deli and we met up with Chris and Chris. They ended up riding back with us. The rain was off and on- not too drizzly which was nice. We got back around 3, I think.

One of my favorite things that happens this time of year as well, is that I start seeing folks again who I hadn't seen since back in the fall when the training season started. It's amazing to see the "shape shifting" that has taken place in all those bodies!! Its really cool! You people look so fit!!

The other fun thing is to see someone again, whom you rode with on one of their very first rides... they didn't know how to shift their bike then, they had no cleats and swore they wouldn't get them.... Now they all blow past me like I'm standing still.

It's awesome! I applaude you all!! Only 5 training weekends to go!