Monday, April 09, 2007

A first for me...

Not to alarm you.

I got hit by a car in Pt. Reyes yesterday. Well, sort of sideswiped, well I'm not sure if she hit me or I hit her but...

I was coming into Pt. Reyes, crossed the bridge and was turning left onto the street that the Bovine Bakery is on. She was going straight. She didn't see me, and I didn't see her until it was too late. I basically started my turn left, realized she was drivingpast me so I turned my bike right and my left hip and my bike hit hersideways (I think). I went down on my back, hit my head (nice cracked helmet!) and it was actually a whole lot better than it could
have been. Also she was driving a Prius and I think the fact that the motor is basically silent probably contributed to the fact that I didn't realize she was there.

My thick pink jacket was rolled up and stuck in my back jersey pocket so it padded my back in the fall but I got a nasty case of whiplash this morning, and my left hip is sore but no road rash (miraculously) and no blood! Good thing I already have a new helmet to replace it. :-)

I did ride back- but only to Daniel's apartment in Corte Madera (25 miles or so) and he drove me back to my car at SB.

I wanted you to hear about it from me first, instead of through the grapevine although I know a few of you already heard it. It was a good excuse for me to take the day off of work!

This is a good reminder about awareness out there this time of year (especially for me!). And no, you should not tell your spouses/significant others, it will only freak them out!

(my sisters and my mother are already going to freak out because I've not told them either!)