Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Recap.... Day Two

Day Two- Michael and I were awake by 4:45 and by 5am standing in line for breakfast. I made a beeline to the hot water to start our french press coffee and snag two seats. While at breakfast reading the "Daily Spin" camp newsletter I noted a little information on this evenings dinner presentations...."Acknowledgment of Training Ride Leaders: Julie Brown and JR Billings...." huh? I was suppose to present something?? OH well I guess they'll find me if they need me... actually I ran into Michael Baron on my way out of camp and asked if I was supposed to do something at announcements? "oh yes! come see me when you get in to camp tonight"....

The ride out of Santa Cruz was TEDIOUS. But hey, with 2500 bikes and a town trying to get out to work on a Monday morning, along with shortly timed stoplights- what would you expect?? I saw many cyclists practicing good citizenship and allowing cars to enter and exit driveways along the way. I too practiced that as much as I could. At one place there were a line of cars trying to get out of what was obviously an apartment complex. Two dozen or so cars full of people just trying to get to work! I blocked our line of Cyclists and directed drivers out onto the road and on their way.

I've often said this year to riders on my rides or at some of our events-- think of yourself as a driver on a Monday morning in Santa Cruz, trying to get to work which is usually 10 minutes away. I'm blocked by a horde of AIDS Riders and it takes me 45 minutes instead. A moment like this is exactly what I was talking about all that time.

Day Two is a long day- 105 miles from Santa Cruz to King City. Once we were out of Santa Cruz proper, it was long stretches of rides on farm roads, alongside strawberry fields, artichoke fields and much more. This year I stopped at the fruit stand just before the traditional artichoke stop, for a small nectarine snack. I ran into Anuj and we decided to ride the rest of the way together. When we finally came by the Artichoke stand, it was too late for us to stop or we would have ended up getting swept. Anuj was ok skipping it, so we rode on to RS 2 and then to Lunch. After lunch was a long ride thru the Salinas Valley with a quick stop at RS 3 and then the Otter Pop Stop at the Mission de Soledad

Moto crew member Joe Steiner

Our Otter Pop Stop Bears.

then across the Skinny Dipping bridge


and a quick visit with the Cookie Lady before a nice downhill/windy/ride toward King City.Y, the cookie lady, Gary and Michael

Every year I "Princess Plan" it on nights two, four and six (King City, Santa Maria & Ventura) so after this 108 mile ride, I checked into the King City Inn. In fact, the hotel is right on the way into our camp so I stopped and checked in before I got to bike parking. That way all I had to do was grab my mini bag and walk over to the motel.

As I was parking my bike, I got a call from JR in staff, asking if I was in camp yet and that Michael was looking for me. I let him know I had just gotten in and would run by their station.

I popped into their office and was given a quick run down by JR on what we would be saying/doing. I had to be back in the dining tent by 7pm and it was now 6 and I still had to go t my room and shower... talk about a fast walk and shower!

After my presentation at dinner, Donald and I met back up at the hotel (he and john were princessing there too) we soon decided we wanted to hit Denny's for another dinner (and breakfast in the morning too, we decided) so we headed over and I had a great salad with grilled chicken. Ruffage! Fiber!! I was a happy camper, er-- princess!