Sunday, February 26, 2006

Renegade Ride, Napa







Saturday we did our "sort of monthly" Renegade ride in Napa, up the Silverado Trail through Calistoga and St. Helena to Taylors Refresher, then back to the Silverado Trail and south to Napa. About 20 people showed up to ride at 9. I think I had my best time yet up the Silverado Trail (28 miles) in about an hour and fifteen minutes. My computer said I averaged 17mph, which felt about right because I was starving by the time we hit Taylors!

What's nice about Renegade rides is that although we all start out at the same time, its everyone's "own" ride. By that I mean no one has expectation about others waiting for them, (or waiting on them!) and its a time for everyone to focus on their own training. Since most of the riders out Saturday were TRL's, it was a good feeling for all of them to have no one to worry about except themselves, it was our own training day... there's the normal concern about your friends, but its different than when you are officially leading and can't leave until the last person is accounted for.

The weather was beyoootiful, definitely shorts and short sleeve jerseys. We had one newbie with us, and one roadie and several "non ALC" riders in our group of 20, all out to enjoy the day. It was Super Duper!