Monday, May 05, 2008

Jonathan Pon Memorial 2 Day ride

This weekend I rode with the Pos Peds and other ALC riders on the Jonathan Pon weekend ride. It is a 70+ ride (each day!) out to the Russian River and back, with a bit o' camping in between.

Saturday night Ronnie stayed at our house since he lives too far away, and was scheduled to be one of the 14 TRLs on the ride.

We got up around 4:45, intending to leave the house around 5:45 to make it to the meet site at 6am. At 5:20 I got a call from Kari saying that Hillary could not get to the ALC van at the office since her entrance badge was not working for some reason--- talk about panic!-- so Kari asked if I could bring along some ride waivers and accident report forms. Sure ! I have about 50 pre-printed for TRLs so I just brought along what I had. I had also printed up 150 route sheets, for each day so I was keeper of the paperwork this morning.

Ronnie and I got there a little after 6am, and from there I proceeded to unpack my bike and get ready for ride out. We had planned to stretch starting at 6:50, so I had a bit of time to say hi to folks and prep the bike. My hubby Mike was planning to come up to the River and camp with us so I didn't have to worry about trucking my sleeping bag, pad, tent and bag out to the start to put on the gear truck. Mike was also bringing along our portable fire pit and wood so we'd have a nice hang out spot around the fire Saturday night.

I had Michael, Mark and Matt lead stretching, I reviewed the route and did the safety speech with a little help from Gabo's cute little dog...

In between those things I asked folks to take a minute-- take a deep breath and remember why we ride. I personally ride for those whom I miss dearly, and also for those Pos Pedalers who were standing within our midst. I can't imagine doing this ride without any of them with us, its just waaay too much fun! I also asked people to meet the person next to them, and to also say "thank you for riding". I hope that they remember to say this to others during the week in June. Its an important thing to remember.

We rode out promptly at 7:40. I had given Matt D. and Donald first sweep duty, meeting Mark O and I at the top of White's Hill where we would assume sweep duty until Walnut Park, our lunch spot. I rode along with Tom Yetter, since we sort of ride at the same pace. On the way up Camino Alto, I came upon my first flat tire victim. While I usually use the time to teach and explain how to change a flat, since it was still early in the ride I basically did the change, quickly explaining as I went. We were done in about 5 minutes, just as Donald and Matt came upon us.
Turns out the guy ended up getting 4 more flats that day!! ugh!

I rode like the wind, didn't stop in Fairfax but headed up to the top of White's Hill. Mark soon met up with me and we proceeded to wait and ring cow bells for riders. Funny, there were also about 2 or 3 club rides going on so we just rang our bells for everyone. Soon, the Saturday "Bride of Cat 2" ride was coming up the hill too-- while we were still waiting for our sweeps! It was fun seeing our other riders and cheering them up the hill too.

Soon the sweeps passed off to us and Mark and I proceeded down the hill. Our strategy was to stay far enough behind the last person, so as not to pressure them nor engage in conversation with them so they can keep pedaling!! Too often I sweep folks and engage in conversation only to have them slow down their pedaling. We had too far to go today to have that happen, so Mark and I spent the day catching up on gossip.... of course!

Soon we were at the Cheese Factory, then up and down Red Hill into Petaluma and our stop at Walnut Park for lunch, where we handed off sweep duties (and strategy) to Kerwin and Matt Martin. (There were 3 Matts who were TRLs on this ride! ) Once we were at lunch, who should we run into but the famous Ginger Brewlay, who was visiting us from Southern Cal!! What a treat!

Mark and I headed out to Bodega Ave and eventually Valley Ford Road which is always stinky and windy and today was no exception. The nice thing about sweeping the first half of the ride is that you are forced to ride slowly, thus saving your energy for that crappy headwind! Soon we were in Valley Ford at the Valley Ford store where I bought homemade beef jerky (it's awesome!) and I talked Mark into buying a pound of smoked salmon and crackers so we'd have some great appetizer food before dinner. He was able to put the package in one of the coolers that the Sag truck had and we were off! Off to where else, but Wildflour Bakery where we stopped and had iced coffee and a little bit of their baked goodies. From there we left Michael and Annette, who were now waiting to take over sweep duty from Kerwin and Matt.

Mark and I got into camp 'round 4:30? I think- Mike was there setting up tents with Donald and after helping them out I walked over to the showers. Ah that was nice getting the saltiness off of me!

Soon we all gathered at the picnic tables, while they set out hummus w/ pita, and veggies for appetizers. Mark and I set out the smoked salmon and crackers and invited folks to join us. Not too far afterward, dinner was served. It was fantastic! Thanks to Jerry & Carol (two ALC riders who ride a tandem!- no they didn't ride with us this weekend, just fed us) for a great dinner and breakfast on Sunday.

After dinner we were treated to entertainment by Mark Growden who came with his accordian AND his banjo. We all hung out around the fire pit, laughing and listening to Mark sing.

Soon it was 10pm and I was ready to hit the hay. I put my earplugs in, took one tylenol pm, kissed mike good night and passed out.

Sunday I awoke without alarm clock at about 5am and decided I was wide awake so headed over to the bathroom to wash up and put my contacts in. Ahhh a clean face! I was ready for coffee now, so I headed over to the kitchen. The coffee was not quite ready yet so I helped Carol by washing some blueberries and when she came over with a cup o' peets I was very happy. Soon after I headed back to the tent to put cycling gear on, then helped Mike take down the tent. Breakfast was soon ready so we went over for yummy quiche and fruit and lots of other food. After everyone had eaten and broken down camp we met for a quick review of the route, a double warning about White's Hill and then we were off!
Mike and I at breakfast...

Unfortunately for me, at about mile 12 just about into Bodega Bay, I started feeling my rear wheel start to vibrate and soon it was making some squealing noises. I asked Donald to ride behind me to see what it might be and when it started vibrating again, he said he could not see anything wrong. We had already opened both front and rear brakes and yet the vibrations were still happening... very scary. So as much as I hated to (and boy was I pissed!), I flagged down the next sag car and had Leon pick me up. It would appear that it was a problem with my rear hub (basically the middle of the rear wheel), so Leon took me all the way back to Sausalito and I was able to take it to Mike's Bikes. With any luck I'll get it back on Wednesday.

Anyhow, since I was supposed to sweep the last leg of the ride from Fairfax back to Sausalito, after dropping off my bike I drove home, got into "civilian clothes" and drove back toward Pt. Reyes where the group was having lunch. After that I basically followed the group on the road back to Fairfax where I stopped at Scoop for organic ice cream while waiting for the last riders to come by. Eventually they all got there, rested for a bit and then headed out on the last 10 miles to Sausalito. People were tired (and a little cranky), but got in to Sausalito a little before 6pm. NO major incidents or accidents!! yay!