Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Burnout...and rest!

Yep, even I get burnout.

I feel it coming on about this time each year. So what do I do? I take a break!

Last Saturdays ride had me exhausted. That exhaustion led to a state of disillusionment.

"How will I be ready for the ride if I can't ride 2 days in a row?" (uh hello? I rode Friday and Sat)... "I shouldn't BE this tired, I am so out of shape!" (duh... you rode 72 miles in a headwind).."

All that negative speak runs through your head when you are overtrained. It's normal. If you have been riding every weekend since January or February- take a break! I did! Sunday, Monday and Tuesday I did no exercise. I did go to see my Chiropractor Dr. Rizzo for an adjustment and A.R.T. (Active Release Technique) so that helped me feel better. But other than that I took it easy for 3 days!

Then today, I rode 30 miles alone from my house to Tiburon and back, and it was much more enjoyable and I felt rested and strong... and I HATE to ride alone!

Sometimes you have to take a break and rest your muscles completely so that all those muscle fibers you tear up each weekend have time to repair, resulting in bigger, stronger muscles that can then take you where you wanna go--- even faster than before!

My twocents worth...