Monday, October 13, 2008

A big ride and a little ride...

Since I was a little freaked out about having this big 200 mile ride to do next weekend, and having not been on my bike for two weeks, I talked Barbara, Dave and Mike into riding a long ride this past Saturday...

We started from my house in San Anselmo, headed into West Marin and thru Nicasio, past the Cheese Factory, over Wilson Hill and into Petaluma for an early lunch at the Apple Box.  After a brief re-fueling of food and then coffee at Peets, we headed west on Bodega Ave, hooked onto Tomales/Petaluma Road and headed over to Tomales bakery.  Then, we headed south on highway 1 to Marshall, with a gnarly climb (at 57 miles into the ride, mind you) up the back side of the Marshall Wall- a route which I had never taken.

Now I know what to say when people ask me which direction I prefer.  NEITHER.

The back side is steep climbs with some flats and downhills in between but not any easier than going in the other direction.

After Marshall we went back to the Cheese Factory (stopped for a snack) and then headed back down Nicasio retracing our path back home... with a stop at Scoop in Fairfax as a nice reward.

Total mileage:  87 miles.  and man is my butt feeling every mile.  The next day (Sunday), we did an easy 20 mile ride around Tiburon.  Nice and short, but my legs are still sore.

I can't even imagine what its gonna feel like after next weekend...