Monday, February 19, 2007

What A Ride Looks Like...

I've gotten feedback and questions from riders regarding the "organization" of official ALC training rides lately. So to clear things up for folks (who happen to be reading my blog at the moment) here's a little insight.

Generally leading rides is a whole lotta fun for me, and sometimes it can also be alot like herding cats... :-) but I digress...

All Ride Leaders are required to be at the meeting place at the designated meeting time, or earlier. Generally, as a captain I try to get there about 15 minutes earlier so that I can get my gear on, set up and greet those riders who get there early. At the meet time I usually have one of my co-leads start leading stretching, all the while I'm reminding folks who havent yet signed the waiver to do so. If you are participating in this Official ALC training ride you required to sign the waiver. You are also required to wear a helmet. Hell anytime you ride with ME,
official or otherwise, you are required to wear a helmet. I don't feel like being the one to clean your brains up off the road because you weren't wearing a helmet so I won't let you ever ride with me without one, period.

I also will yell out what time it is and remind folks that we ride out at XX time to get you moving faster and ready to ride out when we do. PLAN AHEAD- 30 people on a ride get rather annoyed if they have to wait for 1 person to get going...

Stretching goes on for about 10 to 15 minutes. 15 minutes after meet time, I gather everyone around and review the route. I try to point out and even do a major red flag alert about dangerous spots along the route (ie; descending White's Hill into Fairfax). After the route review, I really make people gather in closely to read the safety pledge with me. Mostly I make people gather in so they feel they are part of the group, and also because by then my voice gets scratchy and I get tired of talking. By rideout time or maybe 5 minutes after, depending on the size of the group- we are on our bikes and riding.

Generally I have 1 or 2 leaders lead out, but they don't take the absolute lead because we are required to ride at the posted pace, (ie; CAT 2 is 10-12mph) and our main concern is to pay attention to those folks who are riding at the back of the pack. We always have 1 or 2 Ride Leaders as the "sweep". Usually I will take the last leg of the ride and ride as the sweep, to make sure that every single person on the ride has made it back to the starting point safely. I then check to make sure I have the same number of sign outs on the sign out sheet, as I did signatures on the Ride Waivers that morning. Note: the Sign Out Sheet is a different sheet as the Ride Waiver signature sheet, and it's usually left on the windshield of a designated car.

Riders at the back of the pack are usually those who are doing ALC for the first time, heck maybe haven't even been on a bike in 20 years, and need more attention than those who bust out at a 22mph pace! Make sense? I don't need to take care of fast riders- they are capable, believe they are capable, and if they need help with the route then can stop to read their route sheets or wait for a rider to come up who does know the route.

You can ride at whatever pace you are comfortable with, but it must be at least the minumum Posted Pace.

After a ride, alot of times the ride leaders will get together and go somewhere to eat. You are welcome to join us, just hang around until the last Ride Leader (usually me) gets in, and ask us if we have any plans to eat afterward! This is a great way to get to know other folks and find out LOTS about the Ride in June!

COME OUT AND RIDE!!! :-D