Saturday, December 30, 2006

19,000 miles and counting...

Ride Leaders Julie Brown & Valdez Hill
(you need to worry when a ride leaders last name is "Hill")

People think its funny that I make such a big deal everytime I roll over another 1,000 miles. Yes I know plenty of people who have ridden waaay more miles than I have, I am just one of the few who actually celebrate it!

When I started riding in February of 2003, I was about 30 lbs overweight and had not been on a bicycle since I was 16. I was 40 when I started riding again, so to come all these miles and still be riding is a darn big deal to me considering I never thought I'd actually continue to ride after AIDS Lifecycle 2.


So today was the day I rolled over 19,000 miles on my bike odometer. That means I have ridden 19,000 miles with these two skinny legs (and believe me they weren't skinny when I started out!) It has taken almost 4 years to do it, but here I am still riding.

The fun thing about today's ride was not only that it was a 50 mile flat ride, but that I rolled over 19,000 miles on a ride with Bill Henry, who was with me when I rode my first 20 miles back in 2003. In fact on that ride, I fell on him twice (getting used to my new clips!).

But that's a story for another day...

Me and Bill.... I don't fall on him anymore.