Monday, May 22, 2006

Go Greenbelt Ride Report...

A few folks have asked me about the Go Greenbelt ride I did last month so I figured I'd post the letter I sent out to my donors to recap...

Wow. It's been a month since the ride and I can't believe I'm just coming off the high of riding for 7 days.... well ok, just getting over a horrible sinus infection that gave me a cloudy brain for two weeks.

Thanks so much to you all for your incredible support, both monetary and mentally. Riding 7 days in the Bay Area is just about as incredible and green as you can imagine! The organizers of Go Greenbelt have been doing this for the past 14 years, and have the support part down pat- I had no complaints whatsoever!

The greatest thing about this ride is that it is limited to 75 riders or less, and most riders are experienced at riding multiple days. Most had done the AIDS ride at some point in the last 10 years, and most now do this ride because it affects the area in which we live and because riding with a much smaller group is so different from the AIDS Rides. Not better mind you, but much much different. Rather than camping, we were able to stay at a church in each town, sleeping in sleeping bags on air mattresses- in recreation halls or the actual church itself!

Day 1 was SF to Los Gatos. We rode through the Presidio and GG Park out to the Great Highway and on to Skyline. From there we headed to Woodside with a lunch stop at Robert's market. Note: many lunches and dinners on the ride were "on our own" (aka we paid for ourselves), but because the ride has experienced riders on it, there was no lack of suggestions for eating places. It was nice to eat in reasonably priced places with good food! After Woodside, it was up Old La Honda back to skyline, riding all the way to Highway 9 into Saratoga (great downhill!!!) and into Los Gatos.

Day 2 was Los Gatos to East San Jose (the old 'hood where I grew up!) via Morgan Hill and parts of South San Jose. We also rode up Metcalf Road (those of you who do Tierra Bella know this road) and down toward the Silver Creek Area of San Jose. When I was a kid, all of these areas were agricultural land with cows grazing area. Now there are Mega Homes with zero lot lines and homes so close to each other you can tell when your neighbor is running out of shampoo...

Day 3 East San Jose to Livermore VIA MT. HAMILTON. yes, over the mountain, past the observatory and down Mines Road to the next county. The road on the downside of Mt. Hamilton is CRAZY! Windy and steep hairpin turns, each ending with a CATTLE GUARD! what is up with that? Actually, it was very beautiful on that side of the mountain, and we got lucky- usually that side is dry and hot and this time it was cool and comfortable.

Day 4 Livermore to Fairfield. THis was a veeery interesting day, because we had the option of A. riding the entire 88 miles, 40% of which was on Vasco Road- a very very dangerous piece of road that is bad enough driving a car on, much less riding a bike on. or B. Getting shuttled to Brentwood to start your ride from there- about a 55 mile trek, or C. Starting from Rio Vista through the Montezuma hills (where the windmills are!) and onto Highway 12 which is also busy with trucks but not as bad as Vasco Road. I took the C option- I'm no fool! The Montezuma Hills are very very windy but beautiful- and those windmills are so very cool when you see them up close!

Day 5 (no red dresses, darn!) Fairfield to Santa Rosa. The route took us through Napa Valley, up my favorite Silverado Trail and across to 29 and the V. Sattui Winery where we had a catered lunch which was awesome and needed before a very very hard climb up Spring Mountain Road which basically is the most direct non highway road from Napa directly into Sonoma County. It was one of the hardest climbs I've done- not to mention the fact it was about 90 degrees that day and you all know how much I love to climb in the heat! NOT.

Day 6 Santa Rosa to Olema. I think this was probably the most beautiful day because Sonoma County really has kept it's country areas rural with little or no development. There is something to be said about riding in rural areas, cleaner air, friendly people, and residents who are so up with the Greenbelt Alliance and Go Greenbelt that they are very proud that you are riding through their towns. Riding up Coleman Valley Road to the Coast (Bodega Bay, Tomales, Pt. Reyes) reminds you that we are very lucky to be living in an area where people still respect their open space! Highway 1, although a little busy- is still one of the best cycling highways in the area. We traversed down highway 1, with a stop of course at the Bovine Bakery before pulling into the Olema Campground where we spent our last night. Well ok, Everyone Else spent their last night-- I stayed at the Olema Inn.

That night we had our last dinner together at the Olema Ranchouse- the dinner was paid for by a grant from Bill Graham Productions, and also we were visited by a major Sponsor of the Go Greenbelt Ride- KFOG! (yes, I think by now I've talked Greg into doing this ride next year...) I'm guessing by next year, with sponsors like that - and me blabbing my mouth off- the Go Greenbelt Ride will be "the ride to do", as an alternative or in addition to, AIDS Lifecycle.

Day 7 Olema to San Franciso via Mt. Tam. From scenic highway 1, we hung a left at Fairfax-Bolinas Road and headed up, up, up through the fog to Ridgecrest Road and on to the Seven Sisters- if that's what you call them. I think there are nine sisters actually, but mostly because I'm delirious by the time I get to Ridgecrest so I can't count anyway. From there its up to the top, or down Pantoll Road, which I did and back to SF via Sausalito grade. It was ALC's "Day on the Ride" so I ran into a few riders on the way back to the Presidio. It was a blending of rides, which was sort of cool!

Would I ride it again? you bet! Even though the organizational logistics are very different from ALC- it is an exceptionally well run 7 day ride. The fundraising minimum is $1,000 and your $50 registration fee goes toward your fundraising. It is an awesome route, and I think they may move the date out a week or two so that they can get consistently better weather. In the past they have had days of rain on this ride. Luckily this year it was only a little rain during ride out day 1. Next year they are also hoping to adjust day 4 so that we avoid Vasco Road and instead go up Mt. Diablo. That would mean riding the 3 major mountains in the area in one week - Mt. Hamilton, Mt. Tam and Mt. Diablo! Diablo I would gladly do instead of Vasco Road...

So thanks again for all of your support and Kudos! I think I am the #3 fundraiser for Go Greenbelt this year, but I will find out for sure when we have our reunion/prizes party in June. Stay tuned.