Friday, February 29, 2008

Friday Ride! Lagunitas and back

So today we rode from the NW parking lot of the Golden Gate Bridge out to Lagunitas and back. It was a chilly foggy start with 18 of us in nice layers to keep the fog out. After stretching, route review, & safety speech we took a group photo to mark the occasion.

Sandra and Donald swept, John & I rode mid pack. We traveled down thru Sausalito and on to the bike path where we did a quick restroom stop. It was here that we heard about Carmen's flat tire and the heroic efforts by Mark and Donald to change it quickly...

Soon we were off and up and over Camino Alto, thru the little towns in Marin and finally to Fairfax Coffee Roasters where we stopped to fuel up before our next "significant climb", White's Hill. Some of our riders were short on time so decided to turn around at Fairfax. My good friend and rider Bill Lehrke was turning around to go home (to San Anselmo) and offered to take my jacket back to my house-- it was warming up quite nicely by then. I took Bill up on his offer.

(Did you know the Bridge on White's Hill is called "Brown Bridge"? Really! take a look at the plaque on the far end... just think of it as "Julie Brown Bridge" and you'll never forget it!)

After a quick descent we floated on down Sir Francis Drake Blvd for about 5 miles till we hit the Lagunitas Market for lunch. Newbie Mark Wise decided he wanted to buy me lunch- what a pleasant surprise! Thanks for that again Mark!

Soon we were on our way again, with Sandra and John sweeping up and over White's Hill. They gave Barbara lots of room to descend since she is a little skittish on the downhills. She did fine.
I met them all in Fairfax and decided to sweep along with them. As we headed thru San Anselmo I saw a familiar face standing on the corner and watching us ride by-- my husband mike! I stopped said hello, kissed him and ate a coconut macaroon and was quickly on my way. I had to ride a little fast to catch up with the others but made it back on their sweep tail by Ross Commons.

Once at the bottom of Camino Alto, John slowed down to take the sweep position again. Barbara wanted a shot of Gu so I went ahead and joined Sandra up Camino Alto. We all met up at Mike's for one more shot of Gu for Barbara... we were all complaining that our legs were tired and we didn't know why (duh!) The wind was picking up so we made our way back thru Sausalito , up the grade and down thru Ft. Baker. At that point I waited for John and we headed back up the last climb of the day. The fog was coming in again, so it was good timing on our part!

John posted his photos of today's ride here for you to enjoy