Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Eighteen Thousand Miles and counting...

Hmmm. This past Sunday a group of us went out for a leisurely 82 mile ride out to Petaluma, then Tomales and finally down to Point Reyes station then home. While riding to Tomales Bay from Petaluma, I realized my odometer would be rolling over to 18,000 miles. I was basically almost in the middle of nowhere when the magic numbers appeared. Wow. I suddenly felt tired.

I tried to figure out in my head how many miles a month that was, since the time I started riding and it averages out to be about 430 miles a month! No wonder my family feels like they never see me.... :-)
We continued out on Tomales/Petaluma Road out toward the Tomales bakery and about halfway there, Michael hit 9,000 miles on his odometer.
He's afraid though, that his computer will only read out 4 whole number digits, which means when it rolls to 10,000 miles the computer will say 0000.00 I guess we'll have to wait and see. So we finally hit the Tomales bakery but got there a little too late for pastries. The bakery basically opens at 7:30 and stays open until they sell out. Well they sold out, so we had to go next door to the deli (which is also very good) and had sandwiches and snacks. That was ok because we knew we would hit the Bovine Bakery in Pt. Reyes in plenty of time and they rarely run out of goodies!
The 17 mile ride from Tomales to Pt. Reyes was great because we had a tailwind the whole way! It is a great rolling route that can really suck if that tailwind turns into a headwind. We made it to Bovine Bakery with no problem, fueled up on coffee and sweets for the ride home, er well to our one last planned stop, SCOOP ice cream shop in Fairfax.




Of course, after that it was two miles home to end a fabulous day of riding!